Do you have any question about cleanse liver diet as listed below?
1. How to cure liver disease by proper diet?
2. How to liver cleanse diet can be maintained?
3. What is the best liver cleanse diet?
4. How to liver cleansing diet can be maintained?
5. How to liver detox diet can be maintained?
6. How to liver disease diet can be maintained?
7. How to diet for liver disease can be maintained?
8. How to cure liver cleansing naturally by proper diet?
9. How to cure liver disease naturally by proper diet?
10. How to cure liver detox naturally by proper diet?
11. How to cure fatty liver naturally by proper diet?
Liver Function, Location & Anatomy
Liver is a vital meaty organ of human beings located on the right side of the body below the lungs. The liver is vital cause it supports almost every organ inside the human body. It is the largest organ in humans. Weighing around 2kg it is reddish brown in colour and a rubbery type of organ. Protected by the rib cage, it has two sections, namely the right and left lobes. The liver is connected to the hepatic artery and portal vein, two principle blood vessels in the body.
Functions of liver:
Hepatocytes or liver cells carry out all the functions of liver. The liver is responsible for more than 500 functions in the body. Some of these functions are performed by the liver only and the others are carried out in combination with other glands and organs. The principal functions are as follows:
- Major role in metabolism of the body.
- Regulation of glycogen storage.
- Decomposition of red blood cells.
- Plasma protein synthesis(albumin).
- Hormone production and breakdown.
- Detoxification of body.
- Functions as an accessory digestive gland by producing bile. The bile is stored in the gall bladder. The bile, an alkaline compound helps in the digestion of fats by emulsification of lipids.
- Releases glucose into the blood by performing glycogenolysis, that is the breakdown of glucose into glycogen
- Synthesizes a large part of amino acids in the body.
- Helps in blood clotting in case of wear and tear.
- It stores, many vitamins like vitamins A, D, K.
Liver thus has multiple and diverse functions. So, failure of liver or any hindrance to its normal activities can cause many diseases in the body. The normal functioning of a human will be hampered and he will fall ill.
Medicines to cure liver diseases:
There is more than a 80 liver disease. Among them the following are most common medicines to cure liver diseases.
- Alcoholic liver disease
- Fatty liver
- Hereditary diseases/ hemochromatosis
- Wilson’s disease
- Transthyretin related amyloidosis
- Gilbert’s syndrome
- Hepatocellular carcinoma
- Primary biliary cirrhosis
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Budd-Chiari syndrome
Of all the above diseases, perhaps the most fatal one is liver cirrhosis.
What are the signs and symptoms of liver diseases?
The following are the signs and symptoms of liver diseases by which we can detect liver diseases. We have to keep in mind that initial stages of liver disease does not show any symptoms. So, once signs are detected treatment for liver disease should be immediately started.
- Prolonged period of fatigue or weakness. The liver can suppress energy and make it tremendously strenuous to complete the day.
- Itching sensation every now and then. This happens because of malfunctioning endocrine glands as the liver does not stimulate them.
- Swelling in the lower legs or on other parts of the body due to fluid accumulation there. Generally salt and water gets accumulated due to problematic hepatic portal veins. This is called edema.
- Development of pale yellow skin due to accumulation of bilirubin. Jaundice is a symptom of liver failure due to cirrhosis in some cases.
- Getting bruised easily because the liver is not producing the blood clotting factors. Liver produces prothrombin that works with platelets to clot the blood in case of any external injury to prevent full drainage of blood through the wounded area.
- Low platelet counts. In most cases liver damage is detected by low platelet count during routine culture and blood tests.
- Development of blood vessel visible through the skin.
- Getting readily infected.
- Hepatic encephalopathy
- Internal bleeding of veins in the oesophagus or stomach veins with blood vomit.
- In some worst cases, unconsciousness nausea.
- Loss of appetite.
- High blood pressure.
- Stomach pains. It can be very sharp and feels like a knife edge poking.
- Diarrhoea can be an indication. Though it does not confirm liver damage but it can alert us.
- Dark urine colour or pale stool colour. The stool may also be bloody.
What are the effects/ complications arising due to liver damage?
Liver helps in protein and fat metabolism. A affected liver means these metabolisms will hamper. Some proteins that escape digestion and absorption are used by the bacteria to prepare toxic substances. They do so while using the protein for their own physiological process. Due to liver damage the liver does not function properly and bacterial population is high. So they readly use the proteins to produce various chemicals that can be absorbed into the body. One of these substances, for example ammonia can be harmful to the body when absorbed. This gives rise to a complicated medical syndrome called hepatic encephalopathy. Here toxins get accumulated in the body.
Treatment for liver disease
Treatment for liver disease includes four steps or four different ways. They are:
- Preventing further damage to the damaged liver.
- Treating the already present complications.
- Preventing liver cancer or treating it early.
- Liver transplantation if necessary
Treatment is done through various steps and medications are required. The patient sometimes also given liver detox supplements. But, all of these will not work in the absence of a proper diet. To regain full function of the liver and get rid of all the toxins a proper diet is necessary.
Foods that have liver cleansing effects/ Diet for liver cleansing
Food that we eat are complex particles and are broken down into proteins, fats and carbohydrates in the stomach or intestine. These foods are then absorbed and carried to the liver through the bloodstream. Here the broken down food particles undergo a transformation such that they can be readily absorbed by the body. If these food particles are not absorbed they will be stored in the liver for further use.at the same time the liver scans for harmful materials, toxins present in the food particles. Toxins include alcohol, pesticides present in the vegetables, medicines and other drugs. These toxins will then be taken out of the body in the process of cleansing done by the liver. But, due to gradual accumulation of these toxins the liver may not function properly and lose its ability to self cleanse. Our regular day to day diet nowadays have many processed foods and we unknowingly consume many harmful chemicals and ingredients. As a result the liver gets stressed and a taxed liver will not function properly. For proper working of different metabolism in the body , it is very important that we have a proper and fully fit liver. So, cleansing of liver is necessary. The following food cleanse the liver by stimulating its own ability to cleanse toxins from the system. Eating these best liver cleanse deit foods is the best way to keep the liver healthy.
Garlic is a vegetable with a pungent smell. It is predominantly used in Indian household cooking. A small amount of this garlic consumption will activate liver enzymes, which has the ability to cleanse the liver. Its liver cleansing abilities can be attributed to two compounds in it, namely Allicin and Selenium.
Grapefruit is high in vitamin C and anti oxidants, which accelerates the cleansing process of the liver. The grape fruit should be squeezed and juiced. A glass of juice twice daily should be consumed to activate the detoxification enzymes within the liver.
Beets and carrots
Carrot juice is excellent in cleansing the body. Beet roots helps in detoxing the lungs. Both beet roots and carrot have plant-flavonoids and beta carotene, which can stimulate liver function and improve liver health.
Green tea is always recommended to improve liver function cause it is rich in anti oxidants. Green tea helps the liver to get rid of all the toxins present. Its principal anti oxidant is catechin that aids liver rejuvenation. To detox liver green tea should be consumed 4-5 times daily.
Leafy green vegetables
The most powerful food item to help liver cleansing. It can be eaten raw, cooked or made juice form it. The green vegetables have high amount of plant chlorophylls which suck up environmental toxins from the environment. It also has a distinct ability to neutralize heavy metals by working as a chelating agent. It removes pesticides chemicals and offer a protective mechanism around the liver. Green vegetables like green mustards, dandelion roots, chicory arugula, bitter gourd should be incorporated in the diet. These will stimulate the liver and gall bladder and ensure the flow of bile.
Avocado is a nutrient rich super food for the body. this is native to mexico and central America. It stimulates the body to produce glutathione that ultimately gets rid of all the toxins from the body. Thus avocados help in detoxification of liver. Avocados also increase the metabolism of the body that is required to lose excessive weight of the body.
“One apple a day, keeps the doctor away.” It is a true statement. Apple has chemical components like pectin that are necessary for the body to get rid of the toxins from the gastro intestinal tract. This in turn benefits the iver as it can handle the low toxic load during cleansing process.
Recovery from any liver disease it is recommended that the food should be necessarily oil free. But in requirement of oil the food should be cooked in olive oil or other organic oils such as oil from hemps, flax seeds etc. As these oils are great for liver. These oils works as providing a lipid base that suck the toxins from the system. Thus helps in liver detox mechanism.
Carbohydrate is a big no no in case of liver diseases. So the body needs alternative grains for nutritional purposes. So the diet should comprise alternative grains like guinoa, millet or buckwheat. Whole grains like wheat flour should be discarded as these contain glutten and glutten is full of toxin. Consuming this will overload the liver. So to cleanse the liver alternative grains should be consumed. Alternative grains will help detoxify the liver to a great extent.
Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower are very good in treating liver patients. They stimulate the amount of glycosidase in the system, which in turn adds to enzyme production in the liver. These natural enzymes flush out carcinogen from the body along with other toxins. Thus, it cleanses the liver and reduces risk of liver cancer in the near future.
Citrus fruits like lemons
Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin, so it converts many toxins into water soluble forms. These toxins then get into bodily fluids and are excreted out. Citrus fruits contain a high amount of vitamin C. Consumption of freshly produced lime juice in the morning will help stimulate the liver to detox itself. Patients with fatty liver should lose weight to cleanse the liver and get rid of the extra fat from the liver. Vitamin C present in the citrus fruits increases the metabolic rate of the body and thus helps in weight loss.
One of the toxins present in the liver that causes harm is ammonia. Amino acid arginine helps in detoxifying ammonia from the system. Walnuts contain high amount of arginine. Walnuts also contain glutathione and omega 3 fatty acids, which support the normal cleansing habit of the liver. The nuts should be chewed well before swallowing. Walnuts also aid in weight loss.
It works more in the line of cauliflower and broccoli. Cabbage helps in stimulating the activation of two crucial liver detoxifying enzymes. These enzymes flush out toxins from the liver. Cabbage should be consumed with more kimchi, coleslaw and sauerkraut. Cabbage can be eaten raw or soups can be consumed.
The turmeric is termed as the liver’s favourite spice.it can cleanse the liver to a great extent. By flushing out dietary carcinogens. Turmeric must be added to the lentil stew or chicken stew. Turmeric may also be consumed by mixing it in a glass of milk.
Foods other than the above are also there that boost the cleansing process of the liver. The diet should include artichoke, asparagus, kale and brussel sprouts.
It’s a herb effective for curing a wide variety of liver disease. It cures liver damage due to hepatitis, cirrhosis, alcoholic damage etc. 900 mg should be taken twice daily before meals.
Apple cider vinegar
It helps in fat metabolism and also detoxifies liver. One table spoon of apple cider vinegar should be mixed in one glass water. To this mixture one table spoon honey must be added. To cleanse the liver this mixture should be taken three times daily.
Dandelion root tea
The tea must be prepared with dandelion root powder. This facilitates cleansing the liver. It can also be used by boiling dandelion roots in water and then drinking it.
Amla / Indian gooseberry
One of the richest sources of vitamin C helps maintaining liver function at optimal level 4-5 raw amla should be consumed with curd.
Licorice is consumed by making tea with the help of powdered licorice roots. This is an excellent natural process to treat non alcoholic fatty liver conditions. For best results drink it twice daily.
What should be the ideal best diet for liver detox?
- Raw vegetables and fruits. Raw vegetables like carrot cucumber, zucchini or broccoli. But it is recommended to eat raw vegetables more if you are trying to lose weight. Since, fruits have higher sugar content. Vegetables contain very little sugar.
- Cooked vegetables of different varieties. Starchy vegetables except potato.
- First class proteins from any seafood like sardines, salmon , mackerel, crab meat or tuna. Seafood can be consumed fresh or canned but not be deep fried.. the diet should have eggs without the yolk, poultry meat and any type of lean meat.
- Raw nuts, chickpeas, lentils and beans are also a vegetative source of first class proteins.
- Lime juice twice daily.
- Plain yoghurt with raw nuts.
What foods we must avoid in the process of detoxifying the liver?
In the process of liver detox some foods must be avoided as these foods will reverse the effects of liver cleansing and would cause hindrance to the process of liver function rejuvenation. They are as follows:
- Sugar and candy bars. These chocolates contain hydrogenated oil which are most unhealthy.
- Flour containing foods.
- Diet foods such as diet coke or diet yogurt. These foods are actually low on fat but are high on artificial sugar. High quantity of sugar is bad for the liver.
- Fried snacks and fast foods.
- Crumpets, bagels, white bread and donuts.
- Biscuits, as it contains flower, oils and sugar.
Balanced diet is very very important for cleansing the liver and getting it back to its past form. The foods listed in this article will help in stimulating the liver so that it can get rid of all the toxins and will regain full function.