Do you have any question about liver detox supplements?
1. What is Best Liver Health Supplements?
2. How liver supplements can be effective to the liver?
3. Best liver detox supplements?
4. How liver supplement should be taken?
5. What are the effects of liver supplements?
6. What is best liver detox supplement?
7. Liver Disease and Multivitamins to cure fatty liver
What is liver?
Liver is a vital meaty organ of human beings located on the right side of the body below the lungs. The liver is vital cause it supports almost every organ inside the human body. It is the largest organ in humans. Weighing around 2kg it is reddish brown in color and a rubbery type of organ. Protected by the rib cage, it has two sections, namely the right and left lobes. The liver is connected to the hepatic artery and portal vein, two principle blood vessels in the body. Fatty Liver Disease can be cured by supliments.
Functions of liver:
Hepatocytes or liver cells carry out all the functions of the liver. The liver is responsible for more than 500 functions in the body. Some of these functions are performed by the liver only and the others are carried out in combination with other glands and organs. The function of liver in digestive system is to absorb the nutrients from small-intestine. The principal functions are as follows:-
- Major role in metabolism of the body.
- Regulation of glycogen storage.
- Decomposition of red blood cells.
- Plasma protein synthesis (albumin).
- Detoxification of body.
- Functions as an accessory digestive gland by producing bile. The bile is stored in the gall bladder. The bile, an alkaline compound helps in the digestion of fats by emulsification of lipids.
- Releases glucose into the blood by performing glycogenolysis, that is the breakdown of glucose into glycogen.
- Synthesizes a large part of amino acids in the body.
- Helps in blood clotting in case of wear and tear.
- It stores, many vitamins like vitamins A, D, K.
Liver thus has multiple and diverse functions. So, failure of liver or any hindrance to its normal activities can cause many diseases in the body. The normal functioning of a human will be hampered and he will fall ill. Liver Detoxification suplimnets are successfull to cure the fatty liver if its been taken in a proper manner.
What is liver disease?
Any disturbances in the liver function that can lead to illness and hamper physical, physiological and metabolic activities in the body is called liver disease.
Common liver problems:
There is more than a 80 liver disease. Among them the following are most common
- Alcoholic liver disease
- Fatty liver
- Hereditary diseases/ hemochromatosis
- Wilson’s disease
- Transthyretin related amyloidosis
- Gilbert’s syndrome
- Hepatocellular carcinoma
- Primary biliary cirrhosis
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Budd-Chiari syndrome
Of all the above diseases, perhaps the most fatal one is liver cirrhosis.
What are the signs, symptoms of liver damage?
The following are the signs by which we can detect liver damage. We have to keep in mind that the initial stages of liver disease do not show any symptoms. So, once signs are detected, treatment should be immediately started.
- Prolonged period of fatigue or weakness. The liver can suppress energy and make it tremendously strenuous to complete the day.
- Itching sensation every now and then. This happens because of malfunctioning endocrine glands as the liver does not stimulate them.
- Swelling in the lower legs or on other parts of the body due to fluid accumulation there. Generally salt and water gets accumulated due to problematic hepatic portal veins. This is called edema.
- Development of pale yellow skin due to accumulation of bilirubin. Jaundice is a symptom of liver failure due to cirrhosis in some cases.
- Getting bruised easily because the liver is not producing the blood clotting factors. The liver produces prothrombin that works with platelets to clot the blood in case of any external injury to prevent full drainage of blood through the wounded area.
- Low platelet counts. In most cases, liver damage is detected by low platelet count during routine culture and blood tests.
- Development of blood vessel visible through the skin.
- Getting readily infected.
- Hepatic encephalopathy
- Internal bleeding of veins in the esophagus or stomach veins with blood vomit.
- In some worst cases, unconsciousness nausea.
- Loss of appetite.
- High blood pressure.
- Stomach pains. It can be very sharp and feels like a knife edge poking.
- Diarrhoea can be an indication. Though it does not confirm liver damage, but it can alert us.
- Dark urine color or pale stool color. The stool may also be bloody.
Common medicines to cure liver damage/ how to cure liver damage?
Liver damage as explained earlier happens due to different reasons. Therefore, treatment for each causes are different. Vitamin supplements may be used in Fatty Liver Disease. Below is a list of common natural remedies used to treat or reduce the symptoms of Liver disease.
- Antibiotics are used to treat infections during severe cholangitis or SBP.
- Antihistamine hydroxyzine (atarax) and used to treat itching. Rifampin is an antibiotic to treat itching.
- Ursodeoxycholic acid
- NTBC is a drug to treat metabolic liver diseases.
- Penicillamine is used to treat Wilson’s disease. Trientine is also used, as it prevents excess copper absorption.
- Prednisone is a corticosteroid that suppresses immunity. Hence, used in auto-immune diseases and liver transplantation to reduce rejection chance. This drug has side effects like weight gain, stretch marks.
- Azathiophrine is also used in auto-immune diseases. The drugs can affect DNA synthesis.
- Ribavirin to treat hepatitis C.
- Lamivudin, Interferon used to treat Hepatitis B.
- Spironolactone, Furosemide are diuretic drugs used to get rid of excess body fluids.
- Lactulose and Neomycin are helpful to cure encephalopathy.
- Vitamin supplements are used to rejuvenate liver function.
This is how we treat a damaged liver.
What are liver supplements and what are its functions?
Other than the above mentioned medicines liver can be treated naturally with the help of liver supplements. Supplements are chemical compounds found naturally or synthesized artificially to enhance liver functions. Proper functioning of the liver is necessary for the overall welfare of the body. pills and supliments can cleanse liver if its been taken in a proper way. The main functions of supplements are as follows:-
- They support kidney function, which has been hampered due to liver damage.
- Reduce obesity due to fatty liver.
- Liver supplements can detoxify the livers by cleansing it.
- It supports liver during recovery from a chronic disease.
Components found in the liver supplements:-
- Milk thistle (silymarin)
- NAC (N-acetyl-cysteine)
- S- adenosylmethionine/ methionine:
- Arginine :
- Polyenylphosphatidycholine. (PPC)
- Alpha lipoic acid:
- Vitamin B complex:
- Vitamin A,C and E
- Raw liver extract
- MSM (methylsulfonylmethane)
It is a herb containing silymarin or other related flavonoids. These are the most powerful anti-oxidants that can protect the liver from damaging effect of different toxins. Silymarin heals the liver and stimulates production of new hepatocytes and glutathione, the most powerful anti-oxidant in the body. These new hepatocytes replace the damaged cells. Silymarin is particularly helpful in repairing damage due to mushroom poisoning. Milk thistle is also helpful in treating alcoholic liver damage.
This is also a herb. Burdock contains numerous vitamins that are useful in detoxifying liver. It is rich in vitamins B1, b2 and B12 complex that is very useful in detoxifying liver. Burdock is also responsible for better functioning of liver and gall bladder due to presence of actin. The antioxidants in burdock root can help protect the liver against poisonous substances.
During fatty liver the body produces free radicals due to lipid peroxidation. These free radical can harm the liver as well as other organs of the body. Dandelion extract can prevent formation of these free radicals. Dandelion contains a wealth of nutrients and B vitamins. So, dandelion is used as a herbal treatment for hepatitis and liver cirrhosis and nonalcoholic fatty liver and jaundice.
we have previously discussed that glutathione is a very helpful antioxidant produced by the body. cysteine is a sulfur-containing amino acid that is also a part of glutathione. cysteine is also present in glycine and glutamine. Cysteine works by binding with harmful heavy metal molecules present in the liver and gets rid of them. Cysteine also a very good free radical destroyer. NAC treatment can accelerate rejuvenation of liver functions. Cysteine is produced by the body, but during heavy damage to the liver cysteine level diminishes, which in turn depletes glutathione level and allows toxins and free radicals to enter the blood stream. So to protect the body cysteine supplements are required. The cysteine supplement hleps in maintaining glutathione level and thus detox liver. NAC dosage should not exceed 500-1500mg per day.
It is an amino acid, a unique one cause it is not incorporated in enzymes or proteins. Instead it functions as detoxifier and anti-oxidant through out the body. it also stimulates bile formation. Alcohol iknown to decrease taurine level in the body and cause damage to liver. The level decreases to protect the liver cells from alcohol damage by eliminating toxins. Taurine is used to treat acute hepatitis and alcohol damage. Dosage should be 500mg daily.
this is also sulfur-containing amino acid that works as a detoxifier. Cysteine taurine and SAMe can be synthesised as long as vitamin b% is abundant within the body. in this mechanism methionine is the starting point of glutathione production. S- adenosylmethionine can works as a chelating agent, that is it binds with heavy metals to remove them from the body. but excess SAM is harmful as it gets converted into homocysteine which is a harmful toxin. Methionine is used in treating alcohol-related liver problems. Dosage should be between 800-1600 mg for severe liver damage due to cirrhosis. SAMe supplements should be combined with vitamin B12 and vitamin B6.
Ammonia build up is imminent due to poor liver function. This occurs specially when gut dysbiosis is present due to uncontrolled growth of micro-organisms in the gut. Arginine works to neutralize ammonia build up. Thus aid in liver treatment. Arginine supplement is important to support liver function. Typical dosage should be within 500mg per day.
PPC also known as polyenylphosphatidylcholine is an excellent liver supplement that recovers liver from damage. It supplies the body with phosphatidylcholine, which is important for integration of cell membranes and detoxification processes in the body. PPC influences lipid metabolism. Research has shown positive result in treatment of liver diseases with PPC supplement. PPC opposes lipid peroxidation, and restores phospholipid levels and regenerates damaged liver cells. This is particularly an expensive supplement.
previously considered a vitamin but research has shown that it can be synthesized within the body, thus rendering it as a fatty acid. It is a sulfur-containing fatty acid. It is also known as thioctic acid. Due to it’s functional versatility it is called the universal antioxidant; it can function in both water and fat based regions of the cells. Alpha lipoic acid neutralizes free radicals and also stimulates the recycle process of other antioxidants like vitamin C and vitamin E. It is very helpful supplement for treating liver diseases. Dosage should be predominantly between 600-800mg per day to treat serious liver diseases like cirrhosis or fatty liver.
The B vitamins or vitamin B complex is very useful in treating liver problems. So they should be used as supplements. These vitamins initiate the first part of detoxification and helps produce cytochrome.
These vitamins have antioxidant properties. They act synergistically to neutralize the action of free radicals by scavenging action through the bodily fluids and cells. They also protect the cell membrane. So, should be used as liver support supplements.
To treat liver diseases whey should be used in an undenatured form. Whey is the liquid part of milk produced during manufacture of cheese. It contains a company of useful nutrients that are not readily synthesized within the body. Whey also has many chemicals that are building blocks of glutathione. It is a very good supplement but has two major drawbacks. One, it is very expensive and secondly it cannot be used to treat people who are lactose intolerant.
Raw liver extract when used as a supplement, which helps us to treat liver damage and support liver functions. Raw liver extracts has a good source of vitamin B and Vitamin A. Many studies conducted in the past few years have confirmed its advantages. Liver extract have been used by ancient Indian people to treat liver diseases. It helps in detoxifying the body.
MSM is a type of organic sulfate and has a wide range of uses in treating fatty liver and alcoholic liver damage. It also helps during gut dysbiosis and leaky gut syndrome and inflammation of the Gastro intestinal tract. MSM forms a type of protective barrier over the mucus membranes. Dosage should be within 2600 mg per day.
What are the best liver supplements available in the market ?
- Zenith Nutrition Silymarin Milk Thistle Standardized
- Extra strength liver formula L-Arginine:
- Himalaya liver care
- Now foods liver detoxifier and generator:
- Now foods MSM:
- Now foods taurine:
- Premium liver support and detox:
- Now foods L- Arginine:
- Jarrow Formulas Milk Thistle Standardized Silymarin Extract 30:1 Ratio:
- Now foods NAC ( N– Acetyl cysteine):
Ingredients: it contains silymarin and vegetarian gelatine.
the functions and benefits of silymarin, a herb native to the Mediterranean region have been discussed above.
Ingredients: milk thistle, arginine and anamu.
this is a product of ACTIVE NATURALS. The benefits of the ingredients have been discussed above.
Ingredients: caper bush (root), chicory (seed), black night shades (whole plant) arjuna (bark), yarrow (aerial parts)
Ingredients: milk thistle containing 80% silymarin ; herbal enzyme blend comprising artichoke, beet root, bladderwrack, raspberry leaves and pancreatin enzymes ; L- glutathione, N- acetyl cysteine; standardized extract of grape seed; dandelion root; scute root
Ingredients: MSM (methylsulfonylmethane); stearic acid, magnesium stearate; gelatine in capsulated form.
this particular supplement contains no added sugar, soy milk, eggs or preservatives and is tested to 99.7% purity.
Ingredients: taurine in free form, it also contains rice flour and gelatine.
Ingredients: Contains a synergistic combination of B-vitamins, minerals, botanicals and other nutraceuticals.Standardized herbal extracts such as milk thistle, turmeric, artichoke and picrorhiza kurroa as well as other herbal extract such as boldo leaf, burdock root, dandelion root and yellow dock. Contains SelenoExcell and NAC for glutathione peroxidase and glutathione production respectively. SelenoExcell is the most researched form of selenium Also contains folic acid, B12, choline as well as antioxidants such as alpha lipoic acid and vitamin C.
Ingredients: L- Arginine in free form, it also contains magnesium stearate from vegetable sources and silica and gelatine.
Ingredients: this is a highly concentrated and effective extract of milk thistle with 1:30 ratio of silymarin. This contains atleast 80-% flavonoids. It contains magnesium stearate, cellulose and silicon di oxide. All of these are obtained from vegetable sources. Gelatine is also present.
Ingredients: molybdenum and selenium along with cysteine. It has chelating properties.
The above 10 are the best available supplements in the market for treatment of liver. The advantages of these are that they are readily available and not too much expensive. All its chemical components are from vegetable sources. So it can be consumed by anyone. Lactose intolerant people can also consume the capsules. Contains no glutton, soybeans, no added sugar or preservatives.